It's our favourite time of the year, Peony season! These flowers just seem to get more beautiful every year and we love to watch them open from bud into magical ruffly blossoms.
There are so many varieties of Peony, some of our favourites include Sarah Bernhardt and Angel Cheeks (such a great name!). You can't miss Sarah Bernhardt Peonies, they're very large and have double ruffly flowers. Angel Cheeks are a paler pink with a golden centre.
Peonies are fascinating flowers with a lot of history, here are some fun facts about them.
- Peonies are in season from late April until late June and they're at their best during May.
- They are the 12th wedding anniversary flower.
- Peony plants are perennials (the flowers come back every year) and can live for at least 100 years.
- Peonies are native to China and there are reports that they date back to 1000BC, they are often used in Chinese medicine.
- Coral Charm and Coral Sunset Peonies change colour over time! They transform from a bright coral pink colour to cream.
If caring for your own bunch of cut Peonies at home, we would recommend following these tips to get the most out of your blossoms.
Clean your chosen vase thoroughly before adding your flowers and fill the vase half full with cold tap water. Remove any leaves from the flowers that will fall below the waterline. Cut all stems by 2-3cm at a 45 degree angle, then make sure all of your stems are submerged in water in the vase. Keep your Peonies away from direct sunlight and all heat sources such as on a windowsill or by a radiator. Also keep your Peonies away from draughts and fresh fruit. Change the water in your vase every few days and add new flower food if you have it.
Peonies do have a shorter vase life than other flowers, but with the right care they can last up to 5 days.
We use Peonies straight from the grower so some will still be in bud when they reach you- we think they look like scoops of ice cream, do you agree? This is one of the things we love about Peonies, you can watch them transform over time as their petals open up.
We hope these gorgeous blossoms bring you as much joy as they bring us every year. You can find our range of colourful Peonies here for a limited time!
THB Team x